Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Interview with Artist Ken Garduno


ACL: How/when did you become interested in art?

KG: As far back as I can remember.  I think most children are inclined to draw, but I never stopped.  I've always had an overactive imagination, so that probably has something to do with it.




ACL: What inspires you?

KG: My artworks are like a visual journal.  I'm constantly feeding on information.  My inspiration comes from every aspect of my life.  This includes my own personal experiences, relationships, and observations.  There is also an abundance of imagery that is flowing through my mind.  Pretty much anything I look at in my daily routine can be processed and reinterpreted.




ACL: How did you create your unique style of art?

KG: It was a slow process.  I was really frustrated while going to art school because I felt so many of my peers already had a defining style.  I was pulled in many different directions because of this frustration.  After graduating, I worked tirelessly trying to create my own personal voice.  Not much success came of this.  When I finally stopped trying so hard, my style emerged.  I finally made a piece that  pointed my work in a new, better direction.  It's been evolving ever since.


ACL: What are your favorite things to illustrate? 

KG: If it's not already obvious, I'd have to say that I love to draw beautiful women best.  I tried really hard in the past to draw portraits of women, and never had luck making an attractive face.  It became a personal challenge to capture beauty.  I've been working towards that goal ever since.

My other great love is narrative illustration.  I like creating scenes in which viewer is in charge of coming up with their own interpretation.  



ACL: Which piece is your favorite out of your body of work?

KG: This is too difficult to answer!  It's like asking someone to pick their favorite child.  I feel that every new piece is an improvement on the last, so whatever piece I finished last is my favorite.  (If I had to choose!)



ACL:  Which mediums do you use? Are there any mediums you haven't used that you'd like to experiment with in the future?

KG: About 4 years ago, I discovered the magical medium of acrylic-inks.  I've been loyal ever since.   I'd someday like to start working with other mediums that I left behind including gouache, acrylics, and oils.  Once in a great while, I work three-dimensionally.  I need to do more of that!



ACL: Who are your favorite artists?

KG: I discover new favorites all the time.  My permanent roster includes: John Willie, Charles Dana Gibson, JC Leyendecker, John Currin, Alphonse Mucha, Egon Schiele, Robert McGinnis, Doug Sneyd, Eric Stanton, Francisco Goya, Adolphe Bouguereau, Guido Crepax, Jack Cole, Ron Embleton...too many to mention! 



For more information about the artist and additional artwork, check out Ken Garduno's website.

No comments: