Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Photographer Renata Kaveh

I recently stumbled upon the work of Canadian photography Renata Kaveh. I immediately fell in love with her work.

I emailed her (she's fabulous, by the way) and got the opportunity to ask her a few questions. I've posted her responses here.


What is your inspiration? My inspiration is always changing..... sometimes it's the model in front of me at the time, sometimes it's the work of others like Tim Walker, David Bailey, Helmut Newton....(to name a few). Sometimes it's a place I've visited. I was recently in Paris, and I'm going again to shoot next week, and I'm finding the city and especially the women there particularly inspirational. The way they move, the disheveled sex hair, the pouts, the cigarette (yeah, I said it), how incredible and natural they look, (as there is often no makeup) and their style! It seems so fluid and effortless. J'aime Paris.



When did you start photography? I suppose I started when I was 7 or so...I'd line up all my Barbies on the window sill or on the Persian rug. I would "juge" their hair, style them appropriately of course, I even threw in Jem Barbie who was much bigger in dimension, and very exotic looking compared to the other girls (she was my fav)...and so I began impromptu photo shoots. The Barbies were great because they never complained, were always on time, and I didn't have to worry about "drug problems".


What is your favorite thing to photograph? My mom. She's hot, and I'm not just saying that because she's my mom....the woman is divine.





Renata is a Toronto-based photographer who has been hailed as one of the great emerging talents in fashion photography. She is currently focusing on fashion editorial shoots.

I highly recommend checking out her entire portfolio on her website.

Thank you, Renata!



Photos courtesy of Renata Kaveh