Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Interview with Artist Shelly Porter

ACL: How did you become involved in art?


SP: I have always been creative. I dreamt of being an art major in college, but a more promising avenue for employment seemed to be Interior Design. I did that for several years. Although I enjoyed the creative aspects of it, the sales and general business end of it - I did not. I eventually decided to seriously pursue my creative talents after I was diagnosed with cancer in 1990. I went back to school and took several studio courses. I then began submitting my work to local exhibits and have had several two-women and solo exhibits. 







ACL: How did you develop your style?


SP: Initially I painted in a traditional style, rooted in the Mexican culture and combined with some Renaissance and Victorian period symbolism. My emphasis has always been on color and pattern. But my obsession with detail started driving me nuts! I decided to make a 360 degree turn and started painting with the other side of my brain in an abstract style that was influenced by artists Wassily Kandinsky and Gustav Klimt. I have found it very satisfying and much more fluid and poetic. I feel like it is a truer expression of my feelings and intuitions.







ACL: What inspires you?


SP: Color shape and pattern in any milieu or circumstance.








ACL: What is your dream future project?


SP: I would love to design or create a contemporary line of jewelry or fabrics.







ACL: Which mediums do you use? Are there others that you would like to try?


SP:  I paint mainly in watercolor and use sepia ink and watercolor pencils and some pastel. I also use a powdered gold gouache that I like to accent my work with. (I can thank Gustav Klimt for that inspiration.) I particularly like working on paper, however I am currently working with some acrylics on deep cradled canvas. I have been tempted to use some sewn thread in my work but have not actually tried it...








ACL: Which is your favorite pieces that you've done?


SP: My most favorite piece that I have made is a portrait of my daughter that I did for my husband - the obvious reason being that I adore them both, but also because I really don't have any interest in portraiture, so that will be the one and only!


Many thanks to Shelly for her participation


Please visit her website and Etsy store for more information

No comments: